What Is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a blood glucose (sugar) level that is higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes. 1 in 3 US adults has prediabetes, and most do not even know they have it. If you have prediabetes, you could develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years.
What is Type 2 Diabetes?
Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes. When you have type 2 diabetes, your body cannot use its own insulin as well as it should. This causes sugar to build up in your blood. This is a serious condition that can lead to health issues such as heart attack; stroke; blindness; kidney failure; or loss of toes, feet, or legs.
Are You At Risk for Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes?
You are at an increased risk for developing prediabetes and type 2 diabetes if you:
- Are 45 years of age or older
- Are overweight
- Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
- Are physically active fewer than 3 times per week; or
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed for than 9 pounds.
Can You Prevent Type 2 Diabetes?
Yes! If you have prediabetes or recognize you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, it is time to take charge of your health. Making simple lifestyle changes can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. Prevo Wellness can help for FREE!
Diabetes Prevention Program- Offered at Prevo Wellness
During this 12-month, CDC-recognized diabetes prevention program, you will:
- Potentially reduce your risk for developing type 2 diabetes
- Receive support from your instructor; a trained lifestyle coach
- Connect with others working on similar goals as you
- Develop strategies for healthy eating and physical activity
- Learn ways to manage stress
The Diabetes Prevention Program research study showed that making modest behavior changes helped participants lose 5-7% of their body weight. That is 10-14 pounds for a person weighing over 200 pounds. These lifestyle changes reduced the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58% in people with prediabetes.